Published on December 10th, 2014 | by Jameelah "Just Jay" Wilkerson0
LL Cool J’s Classic 1990 Def Jam Release “Mama Said Knock You Out: 25th Anniversary
First introduced to the world in 1984 as one of Def Jam Records’ flagship artists, LL COOL J helped develop the genre into the musical and cultural phenomenon that is today’s hip-hop. All the while, LL COOL J has remained a musical and cultural force, a living icon and a significant, relevant artist still churning out the hits. Now, to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of his classic album Mama Said Knock You Out, Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) will release a two-CD Deluxe Edition and a vinyl reissue on December 9 as part of the year-long celebration of Def Jam’s own landmark 30th year in operation.
The two-CD version will include the original album and an extra 14-track disc of remixes of the release’s five singles— including “Around the Way Girl,” “The Boomin’ System,” “6 Minutes of Pleasure,” the title cut, and the classic diss record “To Da Break Of Dawn,” as well as bonus entries “Eat Em Up L Chill” and the main title track from the 1991 film Strictly Business. The original vinyl will also be reissued with an updated treatment showcasing LL’s new, eye-popping 3D cover featuring a color version of the original’s black and white gold jewelry.
Released on August 27, 1990, the Marley Marl-produced album (with a front cover inspired by a Vogue Italy magazine shoot) went on to sell more than two million copies. The title track from Mama Said Knock You Out reached No. 17 on the Billboard Hot 100 and was certified gold by the RIAA, while LL Cool J won Best Rap Solo Performance at the 1992 Grammy® Awards. The double-platinum album was listed in The Source’s “100 Best Rap Albums” in 2005, while Chris Rock called it the sixth greatest hip-hop album ever in Rolling Stone.
Truly an entertainment icon of today who has found great success crossing into multiple mediums, LL COOL J is a two-time Grammy® Award winning recording artist, talented actor, author, four-time NAACP Image Award winner, entrepreneur and philanthropist. LL currently stars in the CBS hit primetime drama series “NCIS: LOS ANGELES.” He has hosted the Grammy® Awards for the past three years and is a two-time Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominee. As the first rap artist to amass ten consecutive platinum-plus selling albums, LL is currently working on new music and will soon release his album G.O.A.T. 2.
Mama Said Knock You Out:
Disc 1 (The Album)
1. The Boomin’ System
2. Around The Way Girl
3. Eat Em Up L Chill
4. Mr. Goodyear
6. Cheesy Rat Blues
7. Farmers Blvd.
8. Mama Said Knock You Out
9. Milky Cereal
10. Jingling Baby (Remixed But Still Jingling Mix)
11. To Da Break Of Dawn
12. 6 Minutes Of Pleasure
13. Illegal Search
14. The Power Of God
DISC 2 (Bonus Tracks)
1. Mama Said Knock You Out (12” Remix)
2. Mama Said Knock You Out (Hot Mix-Long)
3. Mama Said Knock You Out (7 A.M. Mix)
4. Mama Said Knock You Out (For Steering Pleasure)
5. Around the Way Girl (Untouchables Remix)
6. Around the Way Girl (Crypt 12” Mix)
7. Around the Way Girl (Jerv’s 12” Rub Mix)
8. Around the Way Girl (Marley Rub)
9. To Da Break Of Dawn (Remix Version)
10. To Da Break Of Dawn (Bug Out Mix)
11. 6 Minutes of Pleasure (Hey Girl Remix)
12. The Boomin’ System (The Underground Mix)
13. Eat Em Up L Chill (Chill Remix) (from “6 Minutes Of Pleasure 12”)
14. Strictly Business (from the Strictly Business original motion picture soundtrack)Tweet