Published on February 27th, 2017 | by DiamondKesawn0
Black in Ballet- Shaakir and Naazir Muhammad
- an artistic dance form performed to music using precise and highly formalized set steps and gestures. Classical ballet, which originated in Renaissance Italy and established its present form during the 19th century, is characterized by light, graceful, fluid movements and the use of pointe shoes.
When you think of the world of Ballet you don’t automatically think of African Americans. Though the World of Ballet has become more culturally diverse over the decades, a black male is not what would be the first thought, let alone two. Yes, TWO!
Identical Twin brothers Shaakir and Naazir Muhammad have been the talk on my social media timeline lately. The New York Natives are spoken of in such high regard as they went from life in the streets to life in Ballet, and not just Balley classes, but these brothers are iconic ballet dancers in their own rights.
After many years of dancing, practice, dedication, blood, sweat, and tears, Shaakir and Naazir are taking Houston by storm as new additions to the esteemed Houston Ballet. In case you aren’t in tune with the Houston Ballet, they are truly a company of inspiration. They are lead by a mission founded to,
“Inspire a lasting love and appreciation for dance through artistic excellence, exhilarating performances, innovative choreography and superb educational programs.
In furtherance of our mission, we are committed to maintaining and enhancing our status as:
• A classically trained company with a diverse repertory whose range includes the classics as well as contemporary works.
• A company that attracts the world’s best dancers and choreographers and provides them with an environment where they can thrive and further develop the art form.
• An international company that is accessible to broad and growing local, national, and international audiences.
• A company with a world-class Academy that provides first rate instruction for professional dancers and meaningful programs for non-professional dancers.
• A company with state-of-the-art facilities for performances, rehearsals and ongoing operations.”
I am truly excited for the continued success of these brothers. In a time of political uncertainty, it is a pleasure to see youth lead by example and provide as a role model for the younger generation.
Make sure you stay up to date with these ballet dancing phenoms.