Published on August 9th, 2019 | by Landon Buford0
Wings Fall to Storm in Seattle
The Dallas Wings (6-17) fell to the Seattle Storm (13-11) 69-57 at Angel of the Winds Arena Thursday night. Defensive Player of the Year candidate Kayla Thornton led Dallas with 14 points, leading the Wing’s offense in scoring for the sixth time this season. The UTEP product has scored 10 or more in 11 games this season, having also done so in two of the previous three contests. She also collected six rebounds and one assist.
Rookie of the Year hopeful Arike Ogunbowale tallied another double-digit scoring output, collecting 13 points for her seventeenth game of the season with 10 or more. Her double-digit streak currently sits at four straight games. The Milwaukee, Wisconsin native dished out six assists tonight, one shy of tying her career-high mark.
Thornton and Ogunbowale were joined in scoring by Isabelle Harrison’s 12 and Allisha Gray’s 11. Harrison accumulated a career-high four steals tonight, topping her previous mark of three that was set against Las Vegas on July 9 of this year and posted a team-high seven rebounds. Gray has put together 10 or more in three straight games and in 11 total contests during the 2019 campaign. Dallas has had four scorers tabulate double-digit scoring figures in eight games this season.
The Wings travel to Phoenix next to take on the Mercury Saturday, August 10 at 9 p.m. CT in Talking Stick Resort Arena. The game will be streamed on WNBA League Pass.
- Kayla Thornton’s corner three-pointer at 9:41 of the first quarter was the fourth time this season that the Wings have scored a three to start the game. The five total three-pointers made in the opening 10 minutes are the most scored in any quarter this season.
- Thornton’s three total three-points tie her season-high mark.
- Arike Ogunbowale’s four assists in the first half were the most she’s handed out in a half so far this season. Her six total assists are the second most she dished out this season.
- Notching 13 points tonight, Ogunbowale has hit the double-digit mark in 17 total games this season and in the last four straight contests.
- Isabelle Harrison swiped a career-high four steals.
- Harrison’s 12 points give her the eighth game of the season of scoring 10 or more.
- Wings newcomer Kristine Anigwe saw six minutes of action and grabbed one rebound in her debut.