Published on August 10th, 2020 | by Darren Paltrowitz0
25 Recipes For National Rum Day 2020 & Beyond, Courtesy Of Popular Brands & Mixologists
Summer 2020 is now well underway, and August 16th of this year marks National Rum Day 2020. On behalf of The Hype Magazine , I rounded up 25 cocktail recipes from top brands and acclaimed mixologists for both your home-mixing and home-drinking pleasure, many of which featuring rum.
– 2 oz. Five Husbands Vodka
– 2 oz. Ginger Beer
– Splash of Cranberry Juice
– Splash of Lemon Juice
– Sprinkle of White Chocolate Shavings
– Garnish: Ginger Snap Cookie
– Add Five Husbands Vodka, Ginger Beer, Cranberry Juice and Lemon Juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
– Shake and strain in a glass.
– Top with White Chocolate Shavings.
– Garnish with a Ginger Snap Cookie.
– Serve and enjoy!
Herbed Honey Smash
In honor of National Honey Bee Day on August 15, 2020
– 2 oz. Aberfeldy 12 year Old Single Malt Scotch
– 1.5 oz. Lemon Juice (or about half a lemon squeezed)
– 1 oz. Honey Syrup
– Garnish: 4-6 Leaves Of Soft Herb (basil, mint, tarragon, etc.)
– Add all ingredients to a shaker tin with ice.
– Shake vigorously and strain using a fine mesh strainer into a small rocks glass filled with ice.
– Garnish with your fresh herb of choice and enjoy!
To make that Honey Syrup for the Herbed Honey Smash using Aberfeldy 12, try 100 grams of honey and 64 grams water, which you will stir and leave to chill. This syrup will only last 3 days. For more herb flavor, steep your fresh herbs in your local raw honey before making that syrup.
– Add Underground, Whiskey (e.g. Nikka), Amaretto (e.g. Disaronno) and the Healthy Cola (e.g. OLIPOP) into a cocktail shaker.
– Shake everything up.
– Serve over ice and enjoy.
New Riff On The Ohio Cocktail
– 1.5 oz. New Riff Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey
– 3/4 oz. Bigallet China China Amaro
– 1/2 oz. Cocchi Sweet Vermouth
– 1/2 oz. Dry Curacao
– 2 oz. Kombucha (JuneShine 100 if you already like it spiked and low-calorie — New Riff’s own if not.)
– Stir all ingredients in a mixing glass filled with ice.
– Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice (or over an ice ball).
– Top with 2 oz. of unflavored kombucha. (e.g. JuneShine, as stated above, or New Riff’s house kombucha fermented by head distiller Brian Sprance both work.)
– Shake all ingredients with ice.
– Strain over fresh ice in a Double Old-Fashioned glass.
– Add garnish.
Created by influencer and mixologist Hannah Chamberlain: @spiritedla
– Stir all ingredients
– Serve in a Glass Goblet over crushed ice.
– Garnish with a lavender sprig.
Absolut Watermelon Martini
– 1 1/2 oz. Absolut Vodka
– 2/3 oz. Simple Syrup
– 4 pieces of Watermelon
– Glass: Chilled Cocktail
– Garnish: Watermelon Wedge
– Muddle all ingredients in a shaker.
– Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
– Garnish with a watermelon wedge.
– Combine all ingredients into a wine glass with ice and stir.
– Garnish with orange wheel.
– 1.5 parts BACARDÍ Añejo Cuatro
– 0.75 parts Martini & Rossi Rosso Vermouth
– 0.25 parts Dry Curacao
– 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters
– Glass: Coupe Glass
– Garnish: Orange Peel
– Stir all ingredients with plenty of rice until very cold.
– Strain into a coupe glass.
– Garnish with orange peel.
Santa Teresa 1796 Negroni
– 1.25 oz. Santa Teresa 1796
– 1 oz. Martini Rubino Vermouth
– 1 oz. Martini Bitter
– Glass: Double Old-Fashioned
– Garnish: Orange or Lemon Twist
– Build all ingredients in a mixing glass.
– Stir ingredients for 30-40 seconds.
– Pour over ice in a double old-fashioned glass.
– Garnish with an orange or a lemon twist.
Created by Mixologist Eric Ribeiro
– 1 1/4 oz. Talisker 10 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky
– 3/4 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
– 3/4 oz. Simple syrup
– Champagne for top
– Glass: Champagne Flute
– Optional garnish
– Combine Talisker 10 Year Old, fresh lemon juice, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice.
– Shake well.
– Strain contents into a Flute glass.
– Fill to top with champagne and garnish with a twist.
Created by Mixologist Eric Ribeiro< -- serves 4
– 4 oz. Talisker 10 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky
– 1 oz. Italian Apéritif
– 4 oz. Lemonade
– 4 oz. Coconut Water
– 1/2 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
– 1/2 oz. Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice
– Garnish: Orange Wheels, Lemon Wheels, Edible flowers
– Combine Talisker 10 Year Old, Italian Apéritif, lemonade, coconut water, fresh lemon juice, and cranberry juice into a punch bowl with fresh ice.
– Garnish with orange wheels, lemon wheels, and edible flowers.
Honey Old Fashioned
– 1.5 oz. Mount Gay Black Barrel
– 1 Bar Spoon of Honey
– 2 Dashes of Angostura Bitters
– Ice Cubes
– Burnt Orange Zest
– Glass: Old Fashioned
– Pour all ingredients into an old fashioned glass.
– Add ice cubes.
– Stir with a bar spoon and serve.
For those of you reading this prior to National Rum Day, you can join Mount Gay Rum from August 11th to 14th for its “Taste Your Escape Retreat” online event. More information is available on the brand’s Instagram page.
Created by the late Don Javier Delgado, founder of world famous Cantina La Capilla in the magical town of Tequila, Mexico
– 2 oz. El Tequileño Blanco
– 1 oz. freshly-squeezed Lime Juice
– Top with Mexican Cola
– Glass: Highball
– Sea Salt (Coarse)
– Cubed Ice
– Coat the rim of a highball glass with coarse sea salt.
– Fill the glass with cubed ice.
– Add El Tequileño Blanco and freshly-squeezed lime juice.
– Top with Mexican Cola.
– Stir with knife
El Dragon Rosado
– 2 oz. El Tequileño Platinum
– 1 oz. Lime Juice
– 1 oz. Agave Nectar
– Garnish: 1 whole dragon fruit flesh, Mint spring
– Glass: Rocks
– Rim: Salt
– Garnish: Dragon Fru
– Add all ingredients to a blender.
– Aadd 1 cup of ice and blend until smooth.
– Serve in a rocks glassed with a salt rim.
– Garnish with dragon fruit slice and mint sprig.
– 2 oz. Cocalero Clasico
– 2 oz. Triple Sec
– 1 1/2 oz. freshly-squeezed Lime Juice
– Garnish: Lime Wedges
– Rim: Kosher salt or coarse sea salt
– Place salt on a small shallow plate.
– Rim each glass with lime wedge, then dip in salt to coat the rim.
– Add Cocalero, triple sec and lime juice to glass and stir to combine.
– Top with ice, garnish with lime, and serve.
Mad March Mule
– 1 part Mad March Hare Irish Poitín
– 2 parts Ginger Beer
– 1/2 fresh lime, squeezed
– Dash of Bitters
– Combine ingredients, Mad March first.
– Served over crushed ice with lime garnish.
Created by the team at 1661, Dublin, Ireland — video of the drink prep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiEZu1STyIA
– Combine ingredients.
– Stir, stir, stir.
– Add double (heavy) cream.
– Add nutmeg on top.
Peach Bellini Martini
– 2 oz. Broken Shed Vodka
– 1 oz. Peach Schnapps
– 1 oz. Peach Puree or Nectar
– 1 teaspoon of Lemon Juice
– La Marca Prosecco
– Glass: Riedel Drink Specific Glassware Nick & Nora
– Fill a shaker with ice and add Broken Shed Vodka, Peach Schnapps and Peach Puree or Nectar.
– Add 1 teaspoon of Lemon Juice and shake the shaker.
– Then strain the shaker into a Martini Glass.
– Top the Martini Glass with a splash of La Marca Prosecco
– Add Disaronno Velvet and NIKKA DAYS Whiskey to a shaker glass.
– Double strain into a Rocks Glass over ice.
– If desired, add 2 spoons of Apricot Jam to the cocktail and stir.
Adapted from Foodism
– 60 ml of Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky
– 15 ml of Dry Vermouth
– 15 ml of Sweet Vermouth
– 2 dashes of Bitters
– Mixing Glass
– Chilled Glass
– Garnish: Cocktail Cherry, Lemon or Orange Zest
– Pour ingredients into a mixing glass with ice.
– Stir and strain into a chilled glass.
– Express a lemon or orange zest.
– Garnish with a single cocktail cherry.
– 1 1/2 oz. Seagram’s Watermelon
– 1 oz. Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice
– 1/2 oz. Agave Rose Water Syrup (1/2 cup Agave, 1/2 teaspoon Rosewater, mix and store in a sealed container.)
– 1/2 oz. Lemon Juice
– Glass: Coupe
– Garnish: Lemon Wheel, Orange Peel
– Build cocktail in a shaking tin.
– Fine strain.
– Add garnish.
– Mix ingredients in a large thermos, bowl, jug or serving container of preference.
– Include any of the optional additional beverages you see fit.
– Pour and enjoy at your leisure.
Starward Cold Fashioned
– 2 oz. Starward Two-Fold Australian Whisky
– 2 oz. Coffee Liqueur
– 1 dash Orange Bitters
– Garnish: Orange Zest
– Glass: Rocks
– Combine all in a mixing glass with ice and stir until very cold.
– Serve in a rocks glass over 1 large rock with an orange zest.
Bogart’s Vodka “Quarantini”
– 2 oz. Bogart’s Vodka
– 1 oz. Roses Lime Juice
– 1 oz. Ocean Spray Cran-Pomegranate Juice
– Garnish: 1 Sprig of Fresh Mint
– Glass: Martini
– In a cocktail shaker, combine all ingredients over ice.
– Shake not stir until chill.
– Pour in a Martini Glass.
– Garnish with a sprig of Fresh Mint.
The Bogart’s Adult Whiskey Sour Apple
– Pour all ingredients over ice.