Published on September 14th, 2023 | by Dr. Jerry Doby0
Special Edition Word Up! Magazine Release: Celebrating Biggie
On the anniversary of the release of the iconic album “Ready to Die” by The Notorious B.I.G., a legendary figure in Hip Hop history, something truly special and collectible has emerged. The Notorious B.I.G. Estate, in collaboration with Budweiser, has dropped the first of two limited editions of the iconic Word Up! Magazine. These collectibles serve as a tribute to Biggie’s historic career, his profound impact on Hip Hop, and the culture that he helped shape over decades. More than that, they pay homage to the incredible grit and resilience that Biggie embodied, a true embodiment of the American Dream.
A Limited Edition Collector’s Dream
Highlights from the first of these two special editions of Word Up! magazine, a collector’s dream that offers a deep dive into the world of Biggie include
Contributions from Those Closest to Biggie
– Angie Martinez, the radio icon, podcaster, and writer, penned a heartfelt letter to B.I.G., capturing the profound mark Biggie left on her life and career.
– Ms. Voleta Wallace, Biggie’s beloved mother, shares her perspective in a letter that beautifully describes Biggie’s journey of resilience, triumphs, and his everlasting legacy.
– Elliott Wilson, the hip-hop expert and journalist, takes the heart of the magazine to tell the story of Biggie’s illustrious career.
– Gerrie Summers, the founding Editor-in-Chief of Word Up!, provides a personal account of her journey launching Word Up! and how Biggie’s lyrics validated its vital role in hip-hop culture.
– T’yanna and C.J. Wallace, Biggie’s adult children, contribute a heartfelt letter to their father, highlighting how his legacy lives on through the latest generation of Wallaces, and how his aspirations and achievements continue to inspire them.
Capturing Defining Moments with Art
The magazine features stunning illustrations by artists, including Ian Wright, that capture defining moments throughout Biggie’s incredible journey.
Collectible Pull-Out Poster:
Within the pages of this special edition, you’ll discover a collectible pull-out poster showcasing Barron Claiborne’s iconic “King of New York” photo. It’s a nod to the tradition of plastering Word Up! posters on bedroom walls, a cherished memory for many.
Biggie’s handwritten lyrics from his most iconic songs grace the pages, emphasizing his resilience and dedication to excellence. These lyrics mirror the story of the American Dream that Biggie so eloquently captured in “Juicy.”
How to Get Your Hands on This Collector’s Gem
If you’re 21 or older, you can get a sneak peek of select pages from the magazine at https://us.Budweiser.com/ItWasAllADream. Plus, there’s an opportunity to obtain one of the 5,000 collectible copies available in six markets across the country (details below). Fans aged 21 and over can also have a chance to win a print copy, so keep an eye on @BudweiserUSA for details.
Drop Locations (Regular store hours apply)
- Extra Butter: 125 Orchard St, New York, NY 10002
- Malbon Golf: 37 Crosby St, New York, NY 10013
- Trap Music Museum: 630 Travis St NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
- Endless Supply: 750 N Franklin St, Chicago, IL 60654
- P’s & Q’s: 820 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19147
- Malbon Golf: 8478-B Melrose Place Los Angeles, CA 90069
What’s Next: The Deluxe Edition
For those who might miss out on the first print edition on September 13, fear not. A deluxe edition is set to drop on September 28. This extended tribute will feature additional content from Biggie’s closest friends and inner circle, including heartfelt letters from Lil’ Cease, Wayne Barrow, Mark Pitts, and D-Roc, as well as an ode from The Notorious B.I.G. Estate. This edition will also be available in print in select markets. Find your retail copy and stay tuned via https://us.Budweiser.com/ItWasAllADream and @BudweiserUSA on social for details.
As we celebrate Biggie’s enduring legacy, let’s dive into the pages of this special edition magazine and remember the impact this legendary artist had on the world of music and beyond.